Your input is important to us!
Please submit any comments and suggestions on the app via this form.
Welcome to the Sabah Biodiversity Integrated Information System (SABIIS) Field Survey Mobile Application for citizen-science. This Application is owned and operated by Sabah Biodiversity Centre (SaBC) and Sabah Net Sdn.Bhd. For more information, visit our website at https://sabiis.sabah.gov.my/.
Our Application is designed to benefit the scientific research community in Sabah, which in turn benefits the larger public. Therefore, if You submit any observational records through this Application, You grant SaBC and its collaborators permission to use Your contributions in any way to further this goal. We ask You to grant us these broad permissions because they allow us to change the legal details by which we keep the data available; this is important because the legal environment can change and we need to be able to respond without obtaining permission from every single contributor.
When You submit records through the Application, You authorise us to have our admin contact You about questions they may have about Your observations. This helps us maintain a high level of data quality so we can use these data for scientific and conservation purposes.
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Application. By accessing or using any part of the Application, each user (“You”, “Your” or “User”) agrees to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If You do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this Agreement, You should not access the Application or use any services made available via the Application (the “Services”). The Application and Services are available to individuals who are at least 13 years old, unless parental permission has been obtained.
- Your Personal Account. If You create an account on the Application, You are required to register with a full name, as anonymous reporting is not allowed. You are responsible for maintaining the security of Your account, and You are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the account. You must not post content to Your account in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others. Please immediately notify SaBC of any unauthorized uses of Your account or any other breaches of security. SaBC will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
- Responsibility of Contributors. If You post material to the Application, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Application (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content for the content of, and any harm resulting from Your use of, that Content. This is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, or an audio file. If You own the Content prior to contributing the Content to the Site, and that Content is subject to Intellectual Property rights, You retain ownership of those rights. Unless You specify otherwise when You post Content, You agree to license Content You contribute to the Application under the CC-BY-NC 2.5 MY (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 Malaysia).
By making Content available, You represent and warrant that:
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content;
- You will post only Content that is relevant to SaBIIS and at a rate and volume that does not hinder other Users’ ability to use SaBIIS;
- the Content is not libelous or defamatory, does not contain threats or incite violence towards individuals or entities, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
- Your account details do not mislead others into thinking they represent another specific person or organisation (unique pseudonyms are allowed). For example, Your login name is not the name of a person other than Yourself or company other than Your own;
- Your content is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on email lists, journals and websites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods.
SaBC and its verifiers only can verify data in a set amount of time with a focus on maintaining reliable, and accurate data. SaBC makes no warranties or representations, express or implied, with regard to the correctness, reliability, or accuracy of any Data, or otherwise. All Data is provided “as-is”. Neither SaBC nor its affiliated or related entities or its content providers shall be responsible or liable to any person, firm, or corporation for any loss, damage, injury, claim, or liability of any kind or character based on or resulting from any use of any Data. SaBC endeavors to maintain accurate and up-to-date data at all times.
Frequently Asked Questions
A1: Citizen science engages members of the public by encouraging them to record their observations of the surroundings. Citizen scientists are able to participate everywhere by reporting on the observation records.
A2: You can explore publicly available data by visiting our website at https://sabiis.sabah.gov.my/.
A3: Yes! This mobile application offers a platform to gather and share reliable records of species’ presence and absence in different parts of the State, and so bring to light a great deal of unpublished and often unreported information. When your observation is submitted, it will inform on-the-ground conservation management, provide ecological information and support annual monitoring of wildlife populations.
A4: GPS reading can only be taken accurately outdoors. Forest with thick canopies may affect the initial accuracy of the GPS reading - Tap the pin icon (📍) on the GPS field to get your live coordinates, with an accuracy reading (± metres)
A5a: The accuracy of the GPS reading is subject to the brand, model and settings of your device. To ensure the highest accuracy, please enable phone location, and - if prompted for permissions when running the app - to grant and use "fine" location.
A6: Upon first use, the app may upload and download data from the server. This requires internet connectivity. Depending on your line speed (cell network or wifi), this may take 1-10 minutes. After the first synchronisation, the app can be used offline (without Internet connectivity) for data collection.